Saturday 25 October 2014

Who's a Fat Bastard - Pulled pork for dinner, cards for desert

October 24 2014
Pulled Pork Dinner
     I really thought I could do it. Running on 2 hours and 16 minutes of sleep, I drove Stalker Bill and his wife Ping to the airport for their trip to Fort  Lauderdale and the cruise.

So when I got home about 5:30 am I figured I'd just stay up and do an all nighter like the old days. Not so fast Old Man. By 9:30, I was speaking in tongues. At 10 o'clock, Lisa wiped the drool off my chin and sent me to bed.  That's the last thing I remember. I woke up at 2 pm to an empty house. Even Elvis and Nutmeg had deserted me.
     I made myself a cup of Joe and I had just sat down when the phone rang. It was Mama Lee. She was speaking so softly I couldn't hear her on the phone. I told her I'd be by in an hour or so and we would talk then.
     I made myself a nice breakfast of eggs, tomato, avocado, and pear. 

If you can call 2:30 in the afternoon breakfast!! I guess you can.
It doesn't matter whether Lisa starts at 6 am Or 9 pm, the first meal is always called breakfast when she's cooking on set. By the way there are some really good pears around right now.
     I had a long hot shower and that almost made me feel like a human being. It feels kind of strange being back in long pants. I've pretty much been in shorts since April. Dogless, I headed over to see Mama Lee.  She's having some issues with paranoia. I talked to her doctor and he told me it is part of the progression of her Parkinson's disease. She refuses to talk above a whisper at the moment. She thinks that everyone is listening to her. I sat and talked to her for a while, trying to allay her fears. 
     This is the strangest thing, since Mama Lee's husband, Adrian, passed away a year ago she has become very interested in sports.
BC Lions and Vancouver Canucks in particular. Adrian was a Lions season ticket holder and watched all the Canucks games. Mama Lee had never shown any interest before. Now she asks me pretty much every day when's the next game on. 
     There is a fellow there that comes every day to be with his wife
who is nonverbal and confined to a wheelchair. He's a big sports fan and he and Mama Lee watch  the games together. He and his wife have been married for more than sixty years. I've never heard her speak and I've never heard him speak to her. And yet he comes every day, sits and holds her hand. Love like that is amazing and humbling to see. 
     Lisa left while I was still asleep to visit Michele on the North Shore and do some Halloween shopping at thrift stores. It's Lisa's favourite holiday. The Halloween Party we were going to was cancelled today. Anyone know of a party?
     I sent her a text to ask if she needed anything from the supermarket. Lisa had invited four of our friends over tonight to have pulled pork for dinner and cards for desert. Lisa makes the most incredible pulled pork. 

Braised in her concoction of Carrots, onions, spices and fruit juice, it's the best pulled pork I have ever had. 

She strains the veggies out of the stock, (but not the flavour.) then reduces the liquid until it has so much flavour you could drink it like tea! 
Once the liquid is added back to the pork OMG it's good.
     After dinner we played three games of screw your neighbour,
it's a form of Bid Whist. I won the first game and then Gordie won the next two. 

The girls were shut out. Lot's of laughs.  We took a break to play a couple of tunes. Gordie on Guitar and I was terrifying the dogs and neighbours with my newly acquired lap steel. I'm just barely starting to get the hang of it. I have to stop trying to strum the rhythm like it's a guitar.
     Barry "mole boy" Ho. Has found a vehicle that he thinks would work well for Sharon. She has been without a vehicle for a couple of weeks now.The good news about that whole situation is I'm staying the hell out of it. Even if it was a brand new ride, what kind of Moron would put himself in the middle of a deal between a good friend and his ex-wife? Not this Moron!!
     We broke up the shindig back side of 11:00. Did the cleanup and the dishes and then Lisa went to bed and I went to the keyboard. I was in bed by 12:30. And I am finishing this in the morning.
     I am going to try to exercise today. I haven't done anything in a week. I sure notice the drop in my energy level when I don't. Sunday is Weigh Day. I don't think you can lose weight by diet alone. I've been doing some isometric exercises and  a lot of stretching trying to keep everything loose. Other than that, I rely on stress and the stupidity of others to raise my heart rate.

That's all I got
Till next time
Peace Out Y'all


©2014 Dave Squatch Ward





No comments:

Post a Comment