Wednesday 8 October 2014

Who's a Fat Bastard - Call of the Wild

October 7, 2014
Como Lake in the sunshine

     As all the regular readers know I spent the entire morning writing yesterdays blog. Other than that I folded the load of laundry I left to age in the dryer overnight. That was a full morning. In yesterdays blog I just kept going on and on, about nothing really. I'll try to stay more focused.
      I made myself a Buffalo Salami Chefs salad for lunch. 
Devlin Buffalo Salami Salad
     Since my groin is still preventing me from doing my workout I decided to go make some music for the folks at Momma Lee's place. I didn't take my song book with me which was a mistake. I was playing from memory and by ear. Neither of which I am good at. If I know the words, I can find the tune, if I know the tune, I can fake the words. If I don't know the words or the tune I'm screwed. These people are mostly in their nineties. It's pretty amazing to see them singing along to an old Hank Williams tune. They know every word but not one of them can remember my name. Mind you, I don't do this for the recognition or the groupies. For that I busk at the liquor store. No, I do it because even though Momma Lee is in a very good home, with attentive staff and excellent care. It can be a sad and lonely existence. I figure if an hour of my time, a couple of days a week to do what I would be doing at home anyway can make these poor tone deaf people smile, who am I to deprive them. I started singing an Elvis tune and couldn't remember anything but the chorus so I just sang it three times. They clap along like I told them to. I play from 12:30 to 1:30 then they boot me out for bowling. Jessica the recreational therapist had her guitar out in the morning, so they got a double dose of music today. I suggested we play together for them some time. She was singing along to Leaving on a Jet Plane and she has a beautiful voice. Very high and clear. I thought it sounded great against my gravelly croakings.
Let the bowling begin
     Not one to let a little thing like a pulled groin beat me down I took the dogs to Como Lake. With the weather the way it is how can you not spend as much time outside as you can. 

As you know I come to the Lake quite often, it's right beside Momma Lee's home. I like it because the trail around the lake is exactly one kilometer and half the trail is off road so I can let the dogs run until we get to the street side of the lake. Then I tandem leash them and pretend they're pulling me through the tundra on my sled. Mush Mush. Think Jack London's Call of theWild! 
Call Of The wild?
It was a beautiful day and we walked around the lake three times. Well, Nutmeg only two and a half. She lay down and stopped. I put her leash on but nothing. There is just something wrong about a 290 pound man dragging a 5 pound brown dog down a dusty trail. So I carried her the last half lap. I had another crow issue.
This crow came pretty close and started cawing his head off. I kept moving but he kept following me and cawing. 
Then there were two more crows and my mind flashed to Alfred Hitchcock.
I gotta start carrying a tennis racket!
     I put Nutmeg down when we crossed the bridge, she was gone like a shot right to the truck. Walk was over. 
     Jen called me at 2:10 to remind me that I was picking up Bella at School. I told her " I didn't forget Christo yesterday I forgot to look at the clock!" Sheesh. 
     I was going to take the trampoline down for the winter a week ago when it started raining. Now look at it. If this is global warming, I'm all for it. 
Happy Kids
     Is it just me or is this a big year for spiders? In one clump of cedar hedges I counted eight spiders and their webs. Including this one having a snack.

     Christian showed up with Christo at about 3:30 and we let the kids play for another half hour or so before he took them home to feed them. 
     I had an appointment downtown a 7:00 and I didn't want to be late, I left the house at 5:30 and even with traffic and a side trip through Granville Island I was forty minutes early.
Cement works at Granville Island.
I sat in the car listening to the talking heads talking hockey for thirty minutes. I went in for my appointment and found they were running thirty minutes late. Lisa texted me art 6:30 that she had just got home and her call time was 2 am. She was going to bed now. I decided to go to Tentatsu for dinner. I had the teriyaki chicken dinner.
I got home about 10. Lisa was sound asleep and I watched Marvel; Agents of Shield, drank Icetea and wrote this blog. It's 1:10 am and Lisa just left for work. That's my cue to call it a night.

That's all I got.
Till next time.
Peace Out Y'all

©2014 Dave Squatch Ward





No comments:

Post a Comment