Sunday 26 October 2014

Who's a Fat Bastard - Gordon

October 25, 2014
A big sombrero makes a good bed!
     I was up at 8 o'clock this morning finishing my blog. It occurs to me that the reason I can write this blog every day may be because I can't remember what the hell I wrote the day before! Is that the sometimers thing kicking in or am I just like that? I hope if I start repeating myself someone will tell me. I know some of my readers are having the same issues I am, it's like freakin Groundhog day with my friends. I could go back and read what I wrote the day before, but where's the fun in that. 
     I made breakfast for the lovely Lisa and I. Pulled pork and eggs
serve with coleslaw and sliced tomato for me, while the lovely Lisa had a couple of pulled pork tacos.

     I spent two hours on the computer trying to download
my head shot to send to London Drugs On line. I finally loaded it onto a stick and took it down to London Drugs in person. I couldn't download it to their site because it was saved in a weird size. They took me back into the lab and made the necessary adjustments. Sort of. I ended up with a border on each side of the photo. 

It looked alright on the computer I'm sure it will be fine. The tech told me to come back in an hour. Off I went on my rainy day mall adventure.
     I know where everyone goes on a rainy Saturday in Vancouver.
They go to the mall! I can't believe how busy it is it's like Christmas time. Until you look in the stores. Looking around you see the public spaces are full but the shops are mostly empty.
London Drugs and Walmart are the exception. At the mall they have a children's play area that is packed. Conveniently located beside the food court. All the parents sitting around drinking Starbucks. It was funny, there were probably thirty kids and even more parents at the play area. There were probably a dozen nationalities there and who knows how many religions. The point being, all these kids were playing together. Running and laughing and climbing all over the equipment. They haven't yet learned to hate. I didn't take any pictures. That's a good way to get in trouble. Old man by himself at the playground taking pictures of children he doesn't know. That arrest would look good on my resume! It's so busy you can't find a seat at the food court. Not that I'm in any rush to eat food court food.
      I'm sitting writing this at a table above the food court and the smell of the Cinnabons has my sphincter puckering. I don't usually come to the mall. But since things have slowed down for me career wise, I buy my promo shots a couple at a time from London Drugs
I can't justify to myself putting out $300 for 50 shots. They never give them back. If you don't get the part, they just toss them. Six bucks in the trash for nothing. This way I get four shots for $15.
It warms the cockles of my frugal Scottish heart.
Mama Lee loves to go out.
     We told Mama Lee we would pick her up at 6 o'clock and take her for dinner at Tentatsu before the Gordon Lightfoot concert. I always drive them down to the venue, then pick them up after the show. I really like Gordon Lightfoot but $100 ticket! That's like a dollar a year! I saw him in 1975 and he was incredible he had such a rich baritone voice. Then I saw him at halftime of the Grey Cup and it was sad. He was opening for Justin Beiber! He just doesn't have the voice anymore. But he sure wrote some great songs. I hope the girls have a great time.
We shared all this food
Tuna Sashimi
     We ordered a chicken teriyaki dinner, favourite roll combo and a small tuna sashimi. As usual it was way too much food. Like every Japanese restaraunt I have ever been to, it comes to the table quite staggered. Why does it take so long to get sashimi when they don't even have to cook it! The chicken teriyaki came five minutes before the sashimi. It fed  all three of us and we took ten pieces of sushi home in a doggy bag, where it will sit in the fridge until it grows into something resembling  a science experiment.  I know, I know, there's very few things better than day old sushi to prime the plumbing. I can hear the Poop Fairy's wings flapping in anticipation just thinking about it!
     I made a Beeline to the Queen Elizabeth Theatre. 

This is where they put the Handicap seats.
It was now 7:30 and the show starts at 8. I pull up just as they start seating people. There is a big line up but when Mama Lee gets into her Wheel chair the seas parted and they slid to the front of the line. Same thing happens on a cruise and at Disneyland! 
     I am sitting in the McDonald's at Main and Terminal nursing a small soda, sucking up the free Wi Fi  and enjoying the freak show that is available free of charge to anyone brave enough to go there at night. I sat in the truck listening to the last half of the Whitecaps game on the radio. After the game I sat where I could watch the truck, and still see what was going on. The Whitecaps game had just ended and they won. Off to the playoffs! 
     Now the place is full of kids. It must have been mini ball night or something.  It seems like every kid in here has one of them. And they're all bouncing them at the same time but not together. It was annoying.  One kid in particular kept yelling "look at me dad, look at me", as he tossed the ball against the window 3 feet from where I was sitting then   I thought about offering the kid a buck to go somewhere else, but strangers giving kids money at a McDonalds probably goes over as well as taking pictures of kids in a playground. 
     It's 10 o'clock now, Lisa called and I'm headed back to the Queen Elizabeth Theatre to pick up Lisa and Mama Lee after the Gordon Lightfoot concert. Mama Lee and Lisa said that they really enjoyed the concert even though his voice is somewhat weak and somewhat monotone. 
Gordon at full zoom!
Hell, he's 75 years old.  Lisa told me he said he was happy just to be above ground and singing! I stopped at the McDonalds on North Road on the way home. Mama Lee and Lisa both wanted Rolo McFlurry's. I had nothing. We got Mama Lee home and in her room by 11:15. 
     Lisa and I called it a day, I tucked my darling in and then got up  to finish this. Which I never did ! It's 10:30 Sunday morning and I'm trying to get this done so I can enjoy the Seahawks game. 

That's all I got 
Till next time
Peace Out Y'all

©2014 Dave Squatch Ward

No comments:

Post a Comment