Wednesday 1 October 2014

Who's aFat Bastard - I'm easily distracted.

September 30, 2014
Como Lake in the sunshine
     Another month done. The last day of September was a beaut! I woke to sunshine and chatter of the birds collecting seeds for the winter. It made me wish I had bought some air for my pellet gun. We got it all, Stellar Blue Jays, Robins, Chicka freakin dees and the worst of all Crows. Crows are the worst because they hate me. I dumped their nest out of my trees two years ago and now they're all after me. It happened in Alaska, this crow just started dive bombing me and screaming at me, at Como Lake a crow followed me all around the lake yelling at me. And at home they sit in the trees where the nest used to be and hurl crow abuse at me. We have a big holly tree right beside the bedroom window. It is the home to several thousand Chickadees. Exactly how many we will never know because they all look exactly the same. They all Chick a dee dee dee the same too. The Stellar Jays are beautiful and loud. They will come right onto the front deck to steal strawberries off the plant. They also, with the help of the Squirrel Army, ate every single Hazelnut off our tree. A few years ago we had a Pileated Woodpecker coming by and pecking on Next Door Gord's Stove Pipe. You could hear it all over the neighbourhood. It went on for weeks. Then it stopped. I wonder if Next Door Gord has a pellet gun?
     At this point I am so far away from what I was going to write, I don't know how to get back to it. Oh yeah, that's how I got on the bird thing , I was up with the birds twenty minutes before the alarm went off. Well that and Elvis bouncing off my chest. I was up and let the dogs out and I swear it was like a National Geographic, Elvis and Nutmeg racing into the flock of snow white Egrets that take flight as one in a thunderous ovation of flapping wings. Or it could have been two Crows, Three Robins, a Chickadee some where singing, a Squirrel and the neighbours cat Otis, who Elvis is scared to death of. I was standing in the wet grass in my bare feet still wearing my pajamas and enjoying the feel of the sun on my face. That's when my alarm went off. I went in, grabbed a cup of Instant Coffee, I'm back on the No Name, turned off the alarm and put on my workout gear. 
     It can often be quite a while between getting ready to workout and actually working out. First of all I don't work out before 9 am because my tenants bedroom is right beside the stairwell I work out in. Secondly, I am easily distracted. With one sock on, I decide I need to check my email. The computer is right beside my Keyboard and guitars and harmonicas and next thing you know, it's 11:00. What can you do. You can workout! 
     I made a slight change in my workout. I added weight. 
I did 1000 Four Stair Stretches Alternating each 100 with two , 2 lb. weights. 100 with, 100 without.
I did 200 One Stair Steps with a 2 lb. weight in each hand. It doesn't sound like much but what a difference. I really feel it in my chest and shoulders.
I did 10 Situps, then I did three sets of 12 Belly Crunches. Just like shampoo, rest and repeat.
I did 4 sets of Situps and 10 sets of Belly Crunches. I didn't think I was going to make 38 and 39 and I got stuck 3/4 of the way up on number 40. I pulled myself up by the knees but I don't care, I'm counting it anyway! 
     Today's episode of Culinary Adventures with Lettuce features Meatball Parmigiana ala Latuga. Using the magic of Microwave technology, I zap my balls in preparation for the latuga. A little marinara sauce, a little more Parmesan and molto bene!

This may have been the most challenging lettuce wrap I have ever made. I mean to eat. It was better after I cut the meatballs up. But the first one, with whole meatballs, I guess the heat of my balls made the lettuce slippery and it shot out the end like a cannon! Made quite a mess. 
     I did some baking today. There are a few things I make for the season. With thanksgiving coming up I thought I'd get a jump on the baking. I make shortbread and sugar cookies too, but today I made chocolate chip cookies.
 This is a great recipe I got off the back of some Dollar store chocolate chips I bought in Oregon. 

12 ounces / 3/4 cup butter - I use regular butter and don't add any salt. Cream butter in giant mixer.
Add 1 cup of brown sugar
1/2 cup of white death...I mean sugar.
I tried to use just brown sugar, but the cookies don't set up right.  Cream sugar and butter till smooth.
Add three eggs and 2 tbs of Vanilla.
Also good for a hangover!
Measure out 3 1/4 cups of flour and 1 1/2 tsp of baking soda.
Add flour at low speed or wear it!
Mix in 2 cups of semi sweet chocolate chips and 13 minutes at 350 degrees gives you.
Where the Hell are the Chips?
It was such a wonderful day I decided to take the dogs to Como Lake for a walk.
It's such a beautiful little spot. Stocked with trout and used extensively by the community.

We walked around the lake twice.
It's been a few weeks since I've been here. That's not right. I am right across the street most days visiting Momma Lee.
And that's what I did after our walk. I struggled on the walk today. I seem to have tweaked some thing in my left Groinal area. It's feeling better now. Just one of those, holy shit that hurt, unidentified random old man pains. 
     It was social hour at Momma Lee's today at 3, just about the time I got there. I had the dogs and all the old gals like that, well most of them, Audrey wants them on a leash and another unidentified old lady runs away as fast as her walker will let her. Jessica the therapist in charge of recreation, takes Nutmeg, because Elvis is a jerk, around so everyone can pet her. She is a sweet little dog and very patient. Forty minutes of potato chips and ginger ale is all I can take. 
     I stop at No Frills to get dinner. I'm in luck, there's stuff in the used meat section! I get $12 worth of pork for $6. It's best before date is tomorrow. It will never see morning! I cut the pork up and pounded it into Schnitzel like flatness. Here's a handy tip. When pounding your meat, cover it with a bag or Saran wrap so you don't have Schnitzel Shrapnel flying all over the place.
Wrap your meat before beating it. 
I made an egg wash with salt pepper and Salsa Huechol, dipped them in Panko with Garlic and Italian herbs and fried them in Canola oil.

 I was so hungry by the time Lisa got home I forgot to take pictures of the finished product. Lisa as usual on work nights ate her dinner, had a shower and went to bed. I watched the Whitecaps win, the Kansas City Royals and the Oakland A's play an incredible 12 inning game, then sat down and wrote this blog. It's now 2:30 am and I am just finishing up. I never did go see a movie on Cheapo Tuesday. I just ran out of September.

That's all I got.
Till next time.
Peace Out Y'all

©2014 Dave Squatch Ward

No comments:

Post a Comment