Monday 10 April 2017

Return of the Fat Bastard - Wedded Bliss

     April 8th 2017

Cypress Mountain
      I couldn't be happier for Sharon and Thomas who today were joined in Holy Matrimony. They have been together off and on for the better part of 20 years. They made it official today in a small ceremony in the lounge on the 11th floor of Dunwood Place in New Westminster where Sharon lives. The views, even with the cloudy weather, were spectacular. I should have taken a picture. Try to envision the gentle slopes of New West rolling down to the mighty Fraser River. The landscape dotted with familiar landmarks. McDonalds, Grocery Stores and Gas Stations on every other corner. Well lit Oasis waiting to quench what ever thirst afflicts you.
      I'm off on this description binge because I still don't know how I feel about it. Sharon was my first love. My high school Sweetheart. Like a lot of first loves it didn't work out for us. Largely due to my immaturity and drug use. My actions made Sharons life expotentialy more difficult. She got smart around 1980 and took Jennifer and left. I was so fucked up I barely noticed. She made some questionable decisions in her life with me being the first and possibly the worst of those decisions. It's probably out of selfishness that I'm so happy for them. It eases the guilt I feel over the grief I've caused her.
      So when she was led down the aisle by our Grandkids and Jennifer with a smile on her face that lit up the room I felt a sense of relief that she was truly happy. Christian was Thomas's best man and Jennifer was Sharon's Maid of Honor. Christopher was the ring bearer and Isabella was the Flower Girl. Again, I should have taken a picture.
      It was a Civil Ceremony officiated by a Justice of the Peace so I didn't have to worry about bursting into flames! That comes in August when Jen and Christian renew their vows in a Catholic Church. They have powerful mumbo jumbo ju ju. I'll have to remember to wear a necklace of garlic.
     The ceremony took about 15 minutes and a few more for the signing of the papers.
Sharon and Thomas
And then it was done. They were Mr and Mrs Saunders.
Sharon and Thomas Saunders

      She briefly considered hyphenating her name but McDonald-Ward-Carpenter-Saunders wouldn't fit on the back of her Canucks Jersey.

      I'm writing this on my phone while sitting at the bar at the Ivanhoe. I haven't been in a dive like this since the last time I was at the Quinny in Cambell River! That was 30 years ago. That's not a comment on the quality of people just on the quality of janitorial work and maintenance.
For some reason my phone has decided to center everything. Maybe I can correct it on the computer later. Where was I? Oh yeah, there were nibbles to hold us till dinner was served at 4:30 the music was lame so I got GMcT's guitar from his suite and played until dinner. Roast beef dinner with all the trimmings and the amazing cake that the lovely Lisa created.
Thomas , Sharon and The Cake

Michelle with two L's and the lovely Lisa
After dinner and the dances it was time to go. The lovely Lisa and Bro Steve had tickets to Brian Wilson at the Queen Elizabeth Theatre. We said our goodbyes and congratulations again and running late Lisa Andretti had us home in record time. She got into her Rock Chick outfit, tight jeans leather boots and jacket and a vintage tshirt. She was looking hot. Should have taken a picture. Again!
      After she headed off to meet Bro Steve I went to the Brownsville Pub. I have to say it's diveyness pales in comparison to the Ivanhoe what it lacks in general diveyness it makes up for in cranky Bartenderness. Yes I'm aware that I'm making up words yet strangely you all knew what they meant. When I walked into the Pub they were just setting up. Not the best sound I've come across but not the worst either. They started off way loud which sent the already cranky Bartender into a spewing volcano of four letter expletives that I believe made me blush, not to mention the physical impossibility of the acts she suggested should be done with that fucking guitar! 
      I was up early and as I introduced myself to the rest of the guys I was playing with I realised that I knew the drummer and the bass player from 25 years ago when I was hanging with Mike Locken and these guys rented a warehouse for a jam space. Man we had some parties there. I had Kelly, a guy I know from other jams, play lead guitar. All I can say is it lived up to it's name, we were jamming! Sometimes we were all in the same key! I had fun. The audience was appreciative. Then I went home in time for the lovely Lisa to get home from the concert.
      Sunday morning brought the invasion from Maple Ridge. Jen, Christian and Grandkids rolled in late enough that I had pants on and the Raptors game on th tube. Bella made a beeline for the couch and a fur blanket named Nutmeg. Christopher was in the spare room watching Spiderman. Jen was saying something about work but it was the third quarter of a tight game and neither Christian nor I heard a word she was saying.
Gramma Lisa Go Pro Ski Bunny

Gramma Lisa was loading the ski gear into the car for Bella's last day of skiing for the season. Christopher didn't want to go. He wanted to spend time with Jen because her new show is keeping her hugely busy. Besides he was told no more bunny hill! Double Black Diamonds only! I think maybe Bella made it sound like certain death for a green rookie like Christopher. Anyway they were meeting Bro Steve and a couple of friends on the mountain.
Bella and Bro Steve

The snow and the scenery was amazing. The Lovely Lisa said it was the best day of season. Fresh powder and clear skies. Bella said she was going to be on the Olympic Ski Team.....the Mexican Olympic Ski Team!
Olympic Dreams
      I went over to Mama Lee's after lunch. Had a visit then played guitar and sang for an hour. I did a little sing along with them for the first time at the end of my set. Good fun and left feeling good. Take that Ski Bunnies!
      While they were up recreating I was sitting at the bar at the Ivanhoe.

They do a great jam there. Good players and good sound. Leaning towards the Country side of things with the occasional side of Heavy Metal. Dave keeps things moving and on my set joined in on the harmonica while his wife Anne sang back up for me. Kelly sat in on lead guitar and it went much smoother than at the Brownsville pub. I always do the same 3 songs the first time I do a new room. So Brownsville and the Hoe back to back Kelly was right on time and rockin. Jane was on drums. She is a 6'2" 280 lb cross dresser with long auburn hair and a flowered brown smock that was quite flattering. I played with him last week at the Heritage Grill and he can drum. Great tempo and solid. It doesn't matter what your personal choices are a player is a player. Music unites us all.
      I'm headed out the door to take Mama Lee to an appointment with my dentist. They have a service that comes to her Care facility but it seems they are trying to pay for the fancy Mercedes-Benz van by mining the bank accounts of the residents. Pulling teeth and selling bridges and caps to 90 year olds. I just want my dentist to check her out.  It took me 3 days and I wrote this whole thing on my phone.

That's all I've got
Till next time
Peace out Y'all







No comments:

Post a Comment