Monday 27 March 2017

Return of the Fat Bastard - It's good to set the bar real low.

March 26th 2017

The View from Cypress Mountain March 24th 2017

      I'm sitting at the bar in the Press Box lounge at the Atrium Inn in Vancouver. Right at the corner of Hastings and Renfrew. The Canucks are losing to the Winnipeg Jets with 5 minutes left in the third period. Waiting for the Jam to start and having a beer to keep the kidney stones moving. Yesterday was Bill Taylor and Basil Chokie's birthday bash at Simply Delicious a Japanese/fusion joint on Main Street with no parking. After 20 minutes of circling the block I convinced the lovely Lisa, obeyer of all signs, to park in the big empty lot behind the big empty building. The building was empty because the businesses that live there were not open at 8:30 at night. It was a good party. Bill was slightly looped and he left the orginization of the music to 40 musicians. Everyone thinks they'reup next, even while they're on stage playing. It was a little disjointed until Basil rode in on his white stallion to save the day.....sort of. I was cool with it because I got to play. I played with Bro Steve, Pam and Leon, Daryl and Bill Taylor. Three songs, a couple of covers and Love Monkey Blues dedicated to Bill who at 66 is still chasing skirt.  A great guy who goes the extra mile for his friends.
Bill and I

Birthday Boys Bill and Basil

With Bro Steve and Bill

 Basil talks funny. He's from South Africa. Nuff said! He does however sing beautifully. I've never seen him not smiling. There were some people who were there and never got to play. I hope they realize that it was about Bill and Basil not about the rest of us. I for one had a great time both playing and listening to all the talented players. The problem when you have 30 guitar players and 4 at a time on stage everyone's amp is set to 11. The guitars were loud! I think it's because most of the players have been playing Rock n Roll for 50 years and are as a group deaf as posts! Big fun and again happy birthday Bill and Basil.
      That wasn't the only Birthday this week. Everyone was working so I took him and Bella to Jumpin Jacs in PoCo. With the laser tag, trampoline, bumper cars and some pizza it was a C Note for an afternoon of non stop scream running.

     
Are you having a Happy Birthday Christopher? You should tell your face!

      It is spring break and Gramma Lisa was able to get the Grandkids up to Cypress a couple of times. Bell ski's with Gramma Lisa while Christopher has a 3 hour lesson. After his lesson he did a couple of runs on the bunny hill. He's doing great. Bella has it down, no problemo! As she says "I'm a natural!" It's neat to see them interact. Talk about sibling rivalry. He's a crazy Canuck. His instructor had to tell him "No straightlining" He likes to go fast. Not what I expected from him. He is doing amazing and soon I think he'll be beating Bella down the hill. The lovely Lisa and Bro Steve got up once as well.
The lovely Lisa Ski Bunny

Bro Steve Mountain Postman!
They ski the tough runs at the top of the mountain. Through the trees and scary steep terrain. The videos they take make me wish I had learned to ski. I sat at home did house work and played guitar.


      What else did I do for fun? Oh yeah, I had another colonoscopy. It's a shame I do some of my funniest material with my naked ass in the air and 3 feet of probe checkin out my insides. I sent Dr Goodwin a copy of the Colonoscopy Song and he thought it was hilarious. He passed it around to the other proctologists. I'm a big hit with the rubber glove crowd. I did a little rewrite and now mention the Doctor and the Nurse in the song. He asked me to send him the new version but I can`t find his email address. I thought my computer would remember it but I can`t find it. I have to call him Monday morning any way to book anal probing number 3 in 2 months time. In spite of what the song says I remember the whole thing. I think? They said I was on the table for over an hour. It didn't seem that long. Maybe I had a little snooze in the middle. He took out 6 more polyps and figures I'll need 2 more probings to clean them all out. There was a moment that I'm not sure of I could have swore that I heard him say "Oh Oh" not what you want to hear from the man with a fire hose shoved up your hoop! I may have just dreamed/hallucinated that part. It's pretty cool seeing your insides on TV even if it is your colon! I saw my heart when I had some stents put in before they replumbed me. That was pretty cool too.

      Chef Boy R Lisa is on her final week of Once upon a Time for this season so she is working all five days. It's been a long time since she's worked more than 3 days a week so this will be a real challenge. She just left for work at 12:15 am. By Friday they will be serving lunch at 2:00 am Saturday morning. She says she might do a little work before our trip to New Jersey in June for
Pappa Dawgs 80th birthday. Looking forward to seeing all the family on the East Coast. Including Squidly and Laura who now both have homes in Manhatten so I smell a Big Apple adventure in our future.
      Jen and Christian take possession of their new home on Thursday. On the one hand the Grandkids are finishing up the school year at Mundy Road which is right across the street from our house so they'll probably stay here quite a bit until then. On the other hand when the school year is done they will be living out in Maple Ridge and we won't see them nearly as often. Life and a large mortgage have a way of getting in the way. I am so happy for them. It's what they have always wanted.
      I didn't have to wait at the bar too long. I was writing this and working on my second beer when I heard my name being called from the stage. No heads up no nothing! I grabbed my guitar and headed for the stage.
Really liking this 
      I'm playing my hollow body electric these days as my Tak has an electrics issue that is proving difficult to solve because of it's age. That's okay. It makes me play my new one. I spent the first 5 minutes on stage trying to tune my guitar. I was getting frustrated when I realized that I had a pick stuck in the strings at the top of the fret board. I have only played here once before so it's good to set the bar real low. If you can't tune your guitar they won't be expecting Jimi Hendrix! I was joined on stage by 3 people I don't know and Claude on bass who I do know. I still don't know their names but they were all excellent musicians. Can't You See, House of the Rising Sun and Love Monkey and people were up dancing to Love Monkey. After my set I thanked the other musicians I played with, trolled for compliments while I finished my beer and was home by 9:30 and finishing this between Poker Tournaments on line. Played 3 won 2.  

That's all I've got
Till next time
Peace out Y'all

No comments:

Post a Comment