Thursday 2 February 2017

Return of the Fat Bastard - I ruined Dr Dan's birthday dinner!

February 2nd 2017


Lovin Cockatoos in OZ

      Wow did January ever fly past in a hurry. It was a busy month for sure. In our family it's birthday month.Brother Pete, Dr Dan, Julia and myself. All children of the Spring Fling. After a winter of big sweaters and snow boots, spring was in the air and a young mans thoughts turned to love. An old mans too it seems. Dr Dan made Julia when he was 48. They should rewrite that old rhyme, March winds, April showers bring forth May boners! It's funny how these things work. After a power outage of any length of time there is always a spike in the birth rate. No television leads to people making their own episodes of the Big Bang Theory.
      I recovered quickly from my recent probings. No discomfort from the Colonoscopy and the Poop Fairy is stopping by regularly. A little burn from the Weenieoscopy when I pee but nothing too bad. The kidney stone that started moving Friday night was another story. I ruined Dr Dan's birthday dinner with my sour attitude and silence. I thought I was handling it pretty well but evidently not. I can't describe how much it hurts when a stone is passing through the ureter. It sucked because it was Dr Dan's birthday dinner and I was a severe wet blanket and because Chef Boy R Lisa made her amazing Casa Lisa Paella!

Casa Lisa Paella
Saffron rice, prawns, scallops, chicken, Chorizo sausage, mussels and clams in the shell, onions, peppers and spices. Muey Buenos!! Mama Lee was there and had several plates  full.

Visiting with Mama Lee Nutmeg and Elvis are saying hello
I ate without enthusiasm, not my usual M.O. Hung around until we had cake then went to bed. I was no fun anyway. I woke up at 3:30 am by a jagged pain shooting through my kidney and an uncontrollable need to pee. When the stone leaves your kidney the relief is instantaneous. A little sore for a couple of days and some blood in the pee while the damage to the kidney heals but way better than it was.
      Sunday was actually Dr Dan's birthday he celebrated by going to work. Auntie Lisa kept Julia occupied and I puttered around the house and yard all the while avoiding playing Dominoes on the floor with a five year old who wasn't even playing it right. Experience tells me, I would make her cry. That's why they have rules! I never give the kids a break. That way when they win one, finally, it means something. I have been beating Lostboy Ryland at cribbage since he was nine and could count to fifteen. He won his first game ever against me just before Christmas. As a matter of fact he won the best of three 2 - 0! He was beaming and I think I was too. It took me some time but I find it a lot easier too share in other peoples success and happiness even when it's at my expense. He and his girlfriend Avery are in Austrailia for eight months. I'm so jealous!
      We met Dr Dan at Tentatsu Too at about 6:00 for Sushi. Julia loves tuna and salmon rolls and Miso soup. Julia is pretty well behaved when we are in a restaurant.
Julia and Dr Dan birthday Sushi

Japanese is notorious for it`s sporadic service. They brought Julia`s Miso soup right away and then every one else got their food. We gave her some rice and some Teriyaki Chicken but 45 minutes in her five year old brain could no longer control her five year old body. She was a perpetual motion machine. We were in a booth so she had a lot of room to move around. Finally her tuna / salmon rolls arrived and she demolished them. She's a great kid and lots of fun. We were home and kicked back for the rest of his Birthday.
A couple of beers for Dr Dan and he was ready for bed. He had a call to make in the early afternoon then a meeting downtown at 2:00. The same time as I had an appointment five blocks away.
      Every one was up and about by 9:00 am Dr Dan packed up their stuff and got ready to catch the 5:30 flight back to Prince George.  After breakfast Dr Dan and the lovely Auntie Lisa took Julia to Blue Mountain Park to meet up with Bella and Chris. They have a new playground there. It's huge with lots of things for the kids to do and an all rubber foam floor. I stayed home and washed the floors before picking up Dr Dan at the park at 12:30. Halfway into town after a vigorous conversation about the state of the world Dr Dan had to take a call. I dropped him at his destination said goodbye and headed over to my appointment. I booked a part in an as yet unnamed FOX feature. I signed a C.A. so I can't talk about it. They asked me not to cut my hair or shave. Not what the lovely Lisa wanted to hear. I don't know anything about it anyway. Yesterday was a straight up look thing. A commercial. If the ad agency thinks I look the part I'll get it. I think I look to mean for the part. I ran into an old friend there going for the same part. Alex Bruhanski, I haven't seen him for years. We first worked together on the first season of The Commish and became friends. We have ran into each other over the years, usually at an audition he's me ten years older. Not my size but a deep gravelly voice and a rough exterior. A fine actor and a great person.
      I went to the Heritage Grill on Monday night and was up first out of the shoe. I did three originals with a whole band and it was a blast. Dale on bass, Gregg on lead guitar and Mark on the kit with Maureen on the Cajon. It's pretty cool to hear my stuff with a full band. Now if Gerry Sax would show up earlier???? Love the sax! I didn't hang out for long even though all the Ukelelians were there but the lovely Lisa was making ribs for 9:30 so I left right after my set. The ribs were great.
      With Christians help, okay Christian did it all. He topped the cherry tree that had defeated me a couple of weeks ago. It involved climbing into the tree and cutting a twelve foot limb that was already touching the hydro wires. I briefly considered using my chain saw but had visions of spurting blood and branch impalement! I borrowed a bow saw from Next Door Gord instead and with some rope and patience we got it down without injury.
      Tonight I'm going to Magnetiq in New West. It's a 60's theme night. Right up my alley. I don't know what songs I'm going to do. There were so many songs in the 60's that are applicable to todays situation. I'll let you know how it works out.


That's all I've got.
Till next time
Peace out Y'all

No comments:

Post a Comment